Digging in the garden, I made an almost archeological discovery, an old bolt eaten by rust. I cleaned it a bit, not too much for the patina to remain and, as I found it really beautiful, I decided to find another use for it.
I turned it into a seal by electro-etching a man hole cover pattern on his head.
And the result is perfectly functional as you can see.
This is how to turn rubbish into design and original object :-)
I've just finished a work started years ago, that was left unfinished because of an overdose of knotwork.
It is a breton text from the Barzaz Breizh, a collection of songs published by Th. de La Villemarqué in the XIXth century.
I used a semi uncial for the text, séparating each verse by a knotwork panel and ending by the title in drawn capitals inspired by the Lindisfarne Gospel. To breathe modernity into the work, I took colors different from the ones used historically, using only earth pigments (Sienna, Umbria, ...).
Another detail can be seen here, and the whole work, there.
My first try, as good as the design was, wasn't deep enough to tool the soaps. Hopefully, I found an old bit of Plexiglas lying around in the garden so I tried once more, this time using a little milling machine to engrave it. As the Plexiglas is transparent, this time, I can show you the monogram right side up, it is still an SC.
I think it will do the job this time, I'll post a pic of the tooled soaps once their maker would have tried this new seal.
And of course, it gave me tons of ideas to work with Plexiglas, to be followed :-)
Back from Coulon where I spent a marvellous week in Gérard Guerry's workshop, I can show you my latest work. As it wasn't very convenient to bring all the mandatory materials for engraving/etching, I went back to work on paper.
It's the structure of a stained glass window from Saint Hilaire church in Niort, embossed with carbon paper. I finished it by filling the pattern with my unavoidable filigrees :-)
To see the whole work, follow the link to the gallery.